The key staff that manage Vocational Education and Training programs at Leeming Senior High School are shown below, along with their contact details. Please feel free to contact them for further information.
Leeming SHS offers a broad range of VET pathways for Year 11 aSTnd 12 students to pursue. Leeming students are able to commence vocational training whilst still at school. This pathway is applicable to all Year 11 and 12 students, even those that foresee themselves as transitioning directly into university studies at the conclusion of Year 12.
VET programs contribute to student’s Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE)- their secondary graduation certificate- and assist students in gaining access to further training and employment.
As a school, we provide our Year 11 and 12 students with the opportunity to enrol in a range of Certificate II qualifications that they complete across the two final years of their secondary education. The broad range of these qualifications is listed below:
- Certificate II Automotive
- Certificate II Community Services
- Certificate II Creative Industries (Media)
- Certificate II Dance
- Certificate II Engineering
- Certificate II Information Technology
- Certificate II Outdoor Recreation
- Certificate II Sport Coaching
Leeming SHS students are also offered the opportunity to apply for part-time external qualification enrolments at TAFE (known as Profile or PAiS enrolments) on a one or two day a week basis, whilst still studying the remaining weekdays at school. Below is a list of the types of external qualifications that Leeming SHS students have student in the past:
- Certificate III Beauty Services
- Certificate II Plumbing and Gas Fitting
- Certificate II Business
- Certificate II Community Pharmacy
- Certificate II Retail Makeup and Skin Care
- Certificate II Retail Services
- Certificate II Health Support Services
- Certificate II Animal Studies
- Certificate II Hospitality Kitchen Operations
- Certificate II Vehicle Body Building
- Certificate Building and Constructions (Trades)
- Certificate Engineering (Fitter Machinist)
Participation in VET
Participation in VET programs is growing at Leeming SHS. Since the 2015 academic year there has been an increase in the number of Year 12 students that participated in VET Units of Competency (UoC). In 2016, 74% of Year 12 Leeming Senior High School students participated in UoCs in comparison to a 68% participation rate of year 12 students in 2014.
Additionally, 2015 figures regarding Year 12 students that completed a Certificate II qualification or higher were equally impressive. 2015 saw 92% of eligible Year 12 students complete qualifications in comparison to 93% in 2014 (which at face value was a very stable rate). Most impressive though was the fact that in 2015 there were 97 enrolled in VET qualifications in comparison to 41 students in 2014.
There was also an increase in the “attainment rate” of Year 12 students at Leeming Senior High School from 80% in 2014 to 89% in 2015. The figure is derived from the number of Year 12 students that achieve either an ATAR of 55+ or a Certificate II (or higher) qualification. The ATAR achievement figures at Leeming Senior High School have been traditional high but the VET percentage of the attainment rate continues to grow.
VET Planning for Upper School
Students in Year 10 become heavily involved in term two with the planning of their subject selections for Year 11 at Leeming SHS. The transition to study in Year 11 is an extremely important one that involves a number of stages. In particular, students will experience a considerable increase in their academic workload and home study in Year 11, regardless of whether they are seeking an ATAR or a VET pathway. It is imperative for students to realise the importance of their academic performance in Year 10 as this impacts directly on subject recommendations and selections for Year 11. One of the key discussions to be made is whether the student’s current abilities and skills are suited to further study at University or TAFE, or whether the end goal is to transition into employment.
To assist students and parents with this important transition, Leeming SHS conducts the following events regarding the Year 10 into Year 11 transition process:
- During Term 2- the Leeming SHS HASS Learning Area fun a career investigation program.
- Term 2, Week 8- Leeming SHS send Year 10 families a range of information (electronically) that provides everything that is required to prepare for selecting Year 11 subjects.
- Term 2, Week 9- Leeming SHS run a Year 10 into Year 11 Parent Information Evening.
- Term 3, Week 3 – Leeming SHS conducts compulsory individual course counselling sessions for each student and their family to select appropriate subjects for Year 11.
It is at the individual course counselling meetings where students and their families identify which school-based and/or part-time external qualifications they are seeking enrolment in. Be aware that there is a maximum of two (2) qualifications that a student can enrol in across Years 11 and 12. There is also only a limited selection of part-time external TAFE qualifications that are available each year, with the final selection being at the discretion of the individual TAFE organisations. All of these details will be available at the individual course counselling meeting.
Specialist Facility- Leeming SHS Automotive Trade Training Centre
A key element of the Leeming SHS VET program is the Leeming SHS Automotive Trade Training Centre. The state of the art automotive facility is designed to:
- Improve access, quality an relevance of trade training at Leeming SHS.
- Allow Leeming SHS students to participate on-site in nationally accredited automotive qualifications.
- Support increased educational retention rates at Leeming SHS.
- Further engage Leeming SHS students in senior schooling.
- Create greater opportunities for students to make a successful transition from secondary school to further education, training and work.
- Help meet the future skill needs of Australia by developing industry and community partnerships within the automotive arena.
Leeming SHS currently delivers both of their Certificate II Automotive and Certificate II Engineering qualifications from the facility, with plans in place for a possible future expansion of the rang of courses that are run from the Trade Training Centre.
Workplace Leeming (WL)
Students who undertake Workplace Leeming at Leeming Senior High school in Year 11 and Year 12 must demonstrate they are work ready before a placement is given. All students who enrol in Workplace Learning are required to:
- Read the general information package for WL and complete the necessary paperwork and return it to the WL Coordinator prior to a placement.
- View the DVD and complete the questions on OH&S Issues for Work Experience Students.
- Complete a Worksafe Certificate.
- Provide a possible contact for a WL placement.
- Familiarise themselves with the student log book and what their responsibilities are.
- Prepare a Resume.
Student enrolments into the Workplace Leeming Program will be contingent on the number of places available. Priority will be given to those students who:
- Have been interviewed and provided evidence they are work ready by completing all the necessary paperwork.
- Have been successful in their application for the Pre-Apprenticeship in Schools (PAiS) program.
- Have secured a School Based Traineeship.
- Have completed Year 11 WL and wish to continue with Year 12 WL.
- Students who undertake work placements as arranged by WL Coordinators will be matched as closely as possible to the student’s work preference.
- Students will only be offered work placements during exam breaks (for Year 11 and Year 12 ATAR students) Year 10 students (in consultation with the Year 10 Coordinator) will be assessed on the basis of minimal disruption to academic programs.
- The program will be flexible in that it will allow students to access a work placement that will minimise their impact on other school subjects and their general academic progress.