Specialist & Academic Programs
Leeming Senior High School offers two Department of Education Specialist Programs. The Science and Technology Academy Specialist Program and the Japanese Specialist Program. To add to these programs and to extend students that want an extended curriculum we offer the Academic Extension Program in English, HASS.
We also offer the highly successful ATAR Aviation Studies and are part of the Instrumental Music School Services (IMSS) program which allows students to study music and progress to ATAR music studies . (please note these studies are not Department of Education Specialist Programs)
See more information about our specialist programs below.
See our Enrolments page for full details on the specialist program application process.
Once you have received an offer for one of our programs you will be asked to complete the Specialist Programs Policy and Code of Conduct which can be found in the Enrolments page.
The Japanese Specialist Program is one of only 31 Approved Academic Specialist Programs with the Department of Education. Specialist students have the opportunity to be part of an innovative and challenging languages program designed to equip them with essential communication skills, an intercultural capability, and an understanding of the role of language and culture in human communication.
Students who are part of the Japanese Specialist Program attend two hours of Japanese classes per week, and are able to participate in the following extra-curricular activities:
- Two-week Immersion Program at Leeming Senior High School with visiting Japanese high school students
- Two-week Japan Tour (running biannually, applications open to Year 9-11 students)
- After-School Enrichment Workshops
- Various incursions and excursions arranged throughout the year exclusively for Specialist students
For more information, please download our Prospectus below.
Science & Technology Academy
The Science and Technology Academy (STA) at Leeming Senior High School is an Approved Specialist program within the WA Department of Education.
We aim to:
- Provide academically gifted students,with an interest in STEM, an inquiry based approach to learning through specialist Science, Mathematics and Technology teaching programs.
- Provide an extensive co-curricular program of enrichment and extension STEM activities, facilitated by specialist program coordinators, designed to foster academic achievement, a greater interest and participation in the many facets of STEM.
Students can obtain membership into the Science and Technology Academy in one of the following two categories.
- STA Specialist Member (selected through academic entry testing)
- STA Associate Member (available to all mainstream students)
The Academic Extension Program (AEP) at Leeming Senior High School is a school-based extension and enrichment program for students who have demonstrated academic potential in English as well as Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) learning areas.
Students selected into AEP will have opportunities to travel interstate and enter into National and International competitions and build collaborative relationships with each other.
We aim to:
- Encourage students to achieve excellence through intellectual inquiry.
- Establish a collaborative and supportive learning environment.
- Develop partnerships with external state, national and international bodies.
The AEP is designed to cater for the needs of our academically talented students, providing them with enrichment opportunities to broaden the curriculum and extension activities designed to engage students deepening their learning. Opportunities to collaborate with like-minded peers, challenges our students to develop their critical and creative thinking, fosters complexity appropriate to the students’ developmental needs and celebrates the academic rigour and excellence of our students.
Entry to the program is by merit selection through a written application and academic testing process. Applications open in February and close mid-May for Year 6 entry into Year 7 the following year. Academic testing takes place in early June utilising a full range of diagnostic tests in science understanding, numeracy, literacy and general capabilities for all programs.
Year 8,9 and 10 entry into the program is based upon both student achievement in school-based assessments, teacher recommendations and availability of positions. Students who are achieving consistent marks over 80% in relevant subjects are considered to be suitable candidates for entry in the Academic Extension Program
Leeming Senior High School is part of the Instrumental Music School Services which provides instrumental music services to the school. Please note that the IMSS is not considered a Specialist Program and therefore application to the school follows the general Enrolment procedures.
Leeming Senior High School also offers ATAR Aviation Studies for Year 11 and Year 12 students. Please note, that this is not considered a Specialist Program and therefore application to the school to access these studies follows the general Enrolment procedures.